Last modified: 2008-08-23 by rob raeside
Keywords: cambridgeshire | cambridge |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
The university flag flies on the Church of St Mary the Great, the University
Church. It consists of an ermine upright cross on a red field, with a yellow
lion passant in each quarter, and at the centre of the flag a red book.
Rob Raeside, 29 June 2007
The flag used by the University of Cambridge flag is a banner of arms,
blazoned as follows: " Gules, a cross ermine between four lions passant gardant
or, and on the cross a closed book fessways gules, clasped and garnished or, the
clasps downward." Some documentary evidence in the university archives shows
that the design of the university flag was considered in 1937. The arms
themselves, however, were granted by Robert Cooke, Clarencieux Kings of Arms in
Letters Parent on 09 June 1573.
(1) University of Cambridge, Statutes and Ordinances of the University of Cambridge and Passages from Acts of Parliament relating to the University, Cambridge University Press, Revised edition 2006, ISBN 0-521-68547-8
(2) Cambridge University Archives, Armorial records of the University Arms, reference GBR/0265/Arms, covering dates 1573 to 1937 and in particular, Letters patent for the University to bear arms as depicted in colour in left hand margin, 9 June 1573, as consulted Janus web site, http://janus.lib.cam.ac.uk, 29 June 2007
Colin Dobson, 29 June 2007
image by António Martins-Tuválkin, 17 February 2006
An unusual yacht club burgee is that of the Cambridge University Cruising Club,
which can be found at
Ron Lahav, 17 February 2006
It is a (dark) red triangular flag in 7:10 ratio with a white cross offset to
the hoist with 13 ermine spots on it (5 vertically and 9 horizontally, crossing
at the fourth); on the upper hoist red area, an heraldic lion or passant
António Martins-Tuválkin, 17 February 2006
This flag is clearly based upon the arms of the University of Cambridge, as
blazoned on the pages of the
University Heraldic and Genealogical Society and as used on the University
of Cambridge's home page
and physically throughout the town.
Colin Dobson, 18 February 2006
image located by Jan Mertens, 2 July 2008
The flag is a Banner of Arms of Corpus Christi College. It is divided into
quarters with the upper left and lower right quarters being red with a white
pelican-in-her-piety, representing the Body of Christ, and the upper right and
lower left quarters being bluer with three white lily flowers representing the
Virgin Mary. By tradition, the flag flown at Leckhampton [a graduate student
residence] also has the addition of a green border. Green is the traditional
colour associated with Leckhampton and which serves to distinguish it from the
rest of the College, so the green bordered 'banner of arms' flag is often simply
referred to as the 'Leckhampton Flag'.
contributed by Jan Mertens, 2 July 2008
image by Jonathan Dixon, 9 July 2007
This very large banner of arms was flying at Gonville and Caius College on one
occasion (13 April 2007). The arms of Gonville and Caius College were formed in
1575 by impaling the arms of the founders, Edmund Gonville and John Caius (http://www.cai.cam.ac.uk/rota.php?count=3).
A blazon can be found at
http://www.netsoc.tcd.ie/~peterh/armscantab.html, a page with blazons for
all the Cambridge colleges:
"Argent, on a chevron between two couple closes indented sable three escallops or impaling, Or semy of flowers gentle, in the middle of the chief a sengrene resting upon the heads of two serpents in pale, their tails knit together, all in proper colour, resting upon a square marble stone vert, between their breasts a book sable garnished gules, buckles or; all within a bordure compony argent and sable."
Jonathan Dixon, 9 July 2007
image by Jan Mertens, 2 July 2008
The flag of Cambridge University Press (CUP), a department of the University of
Cambridge, is the CUP logo on a blue field. The logo consists of the shield from
the university arms to the left of the text "CAMBRIDGE" over "UNIVERSITY PRESS"
in a white serif font. This flag has been flying whenever I have passed their
building on Trumpington St, Cambridge.
Jonathan Dixon, 9 July 2007