Last modified: 2008-01-19 by jarig bakker
Keywords: dessau-roßlau |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Dessau is the largest population centre within Dessau-Roßlau, with approximately 77,000 inhabitants (2006). Most of the town is located on the left bank of the Mulde, south of its confluence with the Elbe. Dessau was first mentioned in 1213, and became the capital of a small state (Anhalt-Dessau) in the 14th century. Between 1863 and 1918, it was the capital of Anhalt. Since the second half of the 19th century, Dessau is an industrial city. The famous art and architeecture school Bauhaus was located in Dessau between 1925 and 1932.
Rosslau (German: Roßlau) has approximately 13,000 inhabitants (2006). It is located on the right bank of the Elbe, near its confluence with the Mulde, about 7 kilometers north of the centre of Dessau. Roßlau was first mentioned in 1215. Before it merged with Dessau, it was part of the district Anhalt-Zerbst.
The new coat of arms and the new flag of Dessau-Rosslau were decided on 26 April 2007 by the Town Council. of Dessau-Rosslau. On 22 August 2007 the Administrative Office (Landesverwaltungsamt) of the state of Saxony-Anhalt had approved the new designs of the symbols.
One finds the design of the new coat of arms of Dessau-Rosslau and the two old coats of arms of Rosslau and Dessau at this site.
Official description: (Blasonierung)
Geviert; 1: in Silber am Spalt ein rechtshalber roter Adler, golden bewehrt und rot gezungt; 2: neunmal geteilt Schwarz über Gold, belegt mit schrägrechtem grünen Rautenkranz; 3: geviert von Gold und Rot; 4: in Silber auf blauem Wasser ein linkshin fahrendes rotes Schiff, auf dem gesetzten goldenen Segel ein links gewendeter, stehender schwarzer Bär mit silberner Krone und je einem abgewendeten silbernen Beil in den Vordertatzten; die Mastspitze belegt mit einem blauen Karpfen; die Bugfahne Blau über Weiß. Als Beizeichen abgesetzt über dem Schildhaupt eine stilisierte rote Mauerkrone mit fünf Tortürmen.
The flag is a bicolore in yellow and red.
Source: this webpage (in German).
Jens Pattke, 27 Aug 2007
Adopted by the Municipal Council on 26 April 2007, the new flag reached new heights even before having been confirmed by the government of Saxony-Anhalt on 22 August 2007: the flag was hoisted over the top of Mt. Kilimandjaro (5,896 m, the highest mountain in Africa) on 25 July 2007 by Frank-Reiner Eckert and his roped party.
An article relating the event, with a colour photography of the flag
hoisting, can be seen on the electronic edition of the "Mitteldeutsche
Zeitung", 7 September 2007.
Ivan Sache, 5 Oct 2007