Last modified: 2008-01-19 by jarig bakker
Keywords: gifhorn |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 image by Jörg Majewski, 19 Dec 2007
Flag adopted 15 Mar 1989
The arms were granted on 29 August 1929.
The horn is a canting symbol and has been used by the city of Gifhorn since the 14th century. The lion and the hearts are taken from the arms of the Counts of Lüneburg and are used by the counts since the 13th century. The area belonged to the counts for many centuries.
Literature : Stadler, K. : Deutsche Wappen - Bundesrepublik Deutschland. Angelsachsen Verlag, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.