This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Catholic University of Leuven (Belgium)
Last modified: 2007-05-05 by ivan sache
Keywords: university | leuven | louvain-la-neuve | triangle (blue) |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
Flag of the University of Leuven - Image by Ivan Sache, 29 September 2003
Presentation of the University of Leuven
The Catholic University of Leuven is one of the oldest European
universities. It is the oldest Catholic university still in existence
and the oldest university in the historical Low Countries.
Upon request of Duke of Brabant John V and the city of Leuven,
Pope Martin V (1417-1431) signed on 9 December 1425 the bull enacting
the foundation of the University of Leuven. The University was then
composed of the three faculties of Law, Medecine and Arts. The first
professors came from Paris, Cologne and Vienna. The Faculty of
Theology was created in 1432.
The University of Leuven became one of the largest and most
renowned European universities, and attracted scholars and scientists
from all Europe.
In 1527, the Dutch humanist Erasmus (Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus,
c. 1469-1536) founded in Leuven the Collegium Trilingue, for
the study of Hebrew, Latin and Greek, the first of its kind.
Cardinal Adriaan Floriszoon (1459-1523), from Utrecht, young Charles
V's private tutor and later Pope as Adrian VI (1522-1523), taught
Theology in Leuven.
Other famous professors at the University were the Flemish physician
Andreas Vesalius (Andries van Wesel, 1514/15-1564), a pioneer of
human body dissection and reformer of the Galenic medicine, who is
considered as the father of the modern anatomy; the Flemish
geographer Gerard Mercator (Gerhahrd Kremer, 1512-1594), inventor of
a map-projection system still in use today; the Flemish humanist philosoph
Justus Lipsius (Joost Lips, 1547-1606), inspired by the ancient
Stoics; and the Dutch theologian Cornelius Jansenius (Cornelius
Jansen, 1585-1638), later bishop of Ieper
and author of the Augustinus (1640), condemned by Pope Urban
VIII (1642) and cause of a big religious turmoil in France involving
the abbeys of Port-Royal.
The University was closed during the French occupation (1797) and
reopened by the Bishop of Leuven in 1834, after the independence of
During the First World War, the Germans burned down the library of
the University and destroyed 300,000 books, causing a big
international disapprobation (aired for instance by Marcel Proust in
A la recherche du temps perdu, where it is, with of course the
Dreyfus affair, one of the few historical events mentioned in the
novel). The library was rebuilt with the help of American
philanthropists. The Germans burned again the library in 1940, and
only 15,000 of its 900,000 volumes were saved.
In 1968, following the linguistical crisis between Flemish and
Walloons, the University was split into two sister universities. The
Dutch-speaking Katholieke Universitet Leuven (KUL) remained on
the historical campus in Leuven (now in
Flemish Brabant, Flanders). The
French-speaking Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL)
moved to a newly built campus in Louvain-la-Neuve (now in the
Wallon Brabant, Wallonia). The faculty of
Medicine was moved to Woluwe-Saint-Lambert /
Sint-Lambrechts-Woluwe (Region of
The Dutch-speaking KLU caters 25,000 students from 102 nations.
The French-speaking UCL caters 20,000 students from 120 nations. In
1974, Pr. Christian de Duve, from UCL, was awarded the Nobel Prize in
Medicine for his research on the components of the living cells.
Ivan Sache, 29 September 2003
Flag of the University of Leuven
The KLU and the UCL use the same flag, which is the historical
flag of the University of Leuven. The flag is square, vertically
divided light blue-white. The light blue refers to the Blessed
Virgin, who is the patron of the University.
Ivan Sache, 29 September 2003
University of Louvain Yachting Club
Burgee of the ULYC - Image by Ivan Sache, 28 May 2005
The University of Louvain Yachting Club (ULYC) was founded in 1964 in
Leuven. The ULYC is now established in Louvain-la-Neuve, in the UCL.
The burgee of the ULYC is horizontally divided light blue-white
with a dark blue triangle in the middle.
Ivan Sache, 28 May 2005
Student's Association at the Université Catholique de Louvain
Pictures of the start of the academic year 2002-2003 in Université Catholique de Louvain can be seen on the University website (6 albums).
Several pictures in the albums show flags, for instance:
- Picture 1, showing a white flag with something red in it, apparently flamy, therefore derived from the municipal flag of Mouscron.
- Picture 3, showing four flags.
The closest is mostly hidden, and the only thing clealy visible is a
yellow escutcheon with a red cross in it.
The next one seems to be a horizontal tricolour of yellow, light blue and white with lots of escutcheons in it.
The next one is almost totally hidden by the previous, and the only part that is visible (below the other one) is red and bears something white.
The next one is the clearest of all. It is a blue-white vertical
bicolour with a shield charged with a wolf, a motto starting by CUM LUPIS
LATA and three dates. The first one looks like 1882, the second one seems
to be 1990 and the last one 1985.
- Picture 4, showing the same flags as picture 3. The only one that gets clear is the first
one. It now seems to be a quartered flag with a diagonal green-white-red
tricolour in the first quarter, white with the yellow shield mentioned
above in the second, white with a white shield charged with a red lion in
the third and green and black in the fourth.
- Picture 6, with
only one flag in focus, it seems to be the yellow-light blue-white
mentioned above. Only the canton is visible.
- Picture 9, showing
- A fringed Belgian flag with unreadable inscriptions
- A white flag with something red in it, probably the same flag as in Picture 1
- A gyronny of black and white, with yellow crosses in the black. This
is the municipal flag of Enghien
- A red, white and blue flag of unclear design but containing a large
drawing of a building and at least three escutcheons, apparently in the
corners, and the inscriptions "BRABANT", "LOUVAIN" and "F.W."
- A blue and white flag almost totally hidden behind the previous one.
- Picture 10, with
one flag visible, out of focus, with a red, white and blue hoist. This is the flag of the Binchoise, a students' association from Binche.
- Picture 11, with
four flags visible. From left to right, they are:
- A red, yellow and white flag with unclear design but bearing a
striking similarity with the banner of arms of the province of Liège
- A horizontally divided flag, red-white-blue-white in proportions
about 4-4-4-1, that includes several inescutcheons, what looks like the coat of arms
of Luxembourg and a yellow inscription reading "LOUVAIN"
- A blurred yellow flag
- The red, white and blue flag with building described in Picture 9.
- Picture 21, with
a total of nine flags visible, in two rows. The row in the left includes:
- A white flag with a red flamy diagonal band. This seems to be the
flag seen in pictures 1 and 9
- A Belgian flag with inscriptions and what looks like a coat of arms. This
seems to be the flag seen in Picture 9
- A flag that is probably light yellow with a red diagonal
- A yellow flag with broad light blue border and yellow squares in the
corners, charged with a light blue and orange coat of arms
- A folded flag that seems to include the colours yellow, light blue
The row in the right includes:
- A flag almost fully hidden, but that seems to include yellow and
- A red flag with what looks like a white castle or tower. This is
probably the flag seen in Pictures 3 and 4
- Quite certainly the reverse of the blue and white flag seen in Pictures 3 and 4
- A red and white flag, consistent with the idea that the flag seen in
Picture 11 is the baanner of arms of the province of Liège.
- Picture 22, with
at least eight flags visible, but only three are clear enough:
- The red-white-blue-white flag seen in Picture 11
- Again the red, white, blue with building
- The municipal flag of Enghien flag seen in Picture 9.
- Picture 23, with
at least seven flags visible, from left to right:
- A white flag with a red rooster holding a complex white, black, red
and golden coat of arm, that is the municipal coat of arms of Charleroi, and three inscriptions. The one above seems to start with
"REGIO". The middle one (above the shield) seems to be "U.C.L.". The bottom
one is "ANNO 1886 - 1986"
- Apparently the quartered flag seen in Pictures 3 and 4
- A flag with a black hoist, probably the Belgian flag seen before
- The yellow, blue and white flag seen before
- The yellow flag seen before, still without any discernible details
- A new flag, apparently horizontally divided in green and red; it is the municipal flag of Brussels, except that the archangel Saint Michael and the
devil are white and that there is, at least, a star and some letters
above the archangel.
- The red flag with castle or tower seen before.
- Picture 24.
The same flags seen in the above picture, except the red one. The only novelty is
that there seems to be something red in the plain yellow flag. It could be the
flag of Wallonia.
- Picture 25.
The same flags as in Picture 23 with a few novelties, plus two new ones. These are:
- A flag that is very folded but that might be a diagonal tricolour of
white, red and yellow with black inscriptions in the white and something
green in the yellow
- Another flag that is very folded, but whose top portion is yelow and
which bears a red inscription that starts with "FEDERATION WALLONNE"
The novelties in the other flags are:
- The fourth quarter in the quartered flag is clearly not green and black,
but a tricolour of green, yellow and black. There is also a red, black and
brown charge in it
- The yellow flag now seems to include not only red but also black.
It is not the flag of Wallonia.
- Picture 27
This photo shows 4 flags:
- The yellow flag with blue border seen in Picture 21
- The red and green flag seen before
- A new flag, purple, with the extremity of a blue inscription
- The flag with red inscription seen in Picture 25. The inscription now
clearly includes also the word "LOUVAIN", and the flag includes also blue
and red areas
- Picture 29
Lots of flags in this photo, two of them deserve a closer look.
- The flag that seemed to be purple in Picture 27 is now a purple-white-yellow
vertical tricolour, that is the municipal flag of Ath with a black 2-headed eagle in the center charged with a
- The yellow flag is charged with a black lion with red claws and
tongue. There also seems to be something else, a red stripe.
- Picture 31
Again, lots of flags, but the only noteworthy detail is the presence of the
date 1884 in the purple-white-yellow flag.
- Picture 34
Several flags visible, but the only novelty is the certainty that the black
lion flag includes a diagonal red band. That means it is the banner of arms of the Namur.
- Picture 36
Several flags visible.
- The inscription in the purple-white-yellow flag ends with "DES ETUDIANTS DE LOUVAIN", so this is probably the flag of a student's association
- There is a folded flag in the background that seems to be grey.
Jorge Candeias, Pascal Vagnat, & Jan Mertens, 29 April 2005