Last modified: 2005-02-26 by rick wyatt
Keywords: toledo | ohio |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
3:5 by Christian Kretowicz, 24 July 2002
This flag is shown in NAVA's American City Flag survey.
A vertical tribar of blue-white-blue with the city seal in the center, showing a silhouette of Fort Industry at sunrise behind the Maumee River. Flag adopted 18 January 1994. This flag was adopted, reusing the 1873 seal of the city, in preparation for the city's 160th anniversary.
by Blas Delgado Ortiz, 3 January 2001
The City Flag and Seal
Toledo officially adopted the design for the city flag on January 11, 1909, during the administration of Mayor Brand Whitlock. City council's resolution explained the meaning of the flag's design.
"The significance of the design is as follows: the block house representing old Fort Industry, which was the first settlement of Toledo, represents security and industry and that advancement which came of the pioneer spirit. The circle surrounding it denotes unity, completeness and eternity, and giving the sense of location, represents the state of Ohio. The colors of the flag are the national colors and stand not only for the nation, but the blue for constancy, the white for purity and the red for labor, courage and brotherhood.
"Be it further resolved that the device of the block house within the circle stand as the emblem of the City of Toledo and be the basis of all seals and devices representing the sovereignty of the city; with this addition, however, that where possible the date of the organization of the city, 1837, be added and the motto of the city, Laborare est Orare.
"Be it further resolved that the thanks of the city be extended to Robert M. Corl for the design which he has furnished."
Toledo's incorporation as a city in 1837 included the right to use a corporate seal. The city's first seal was a scroll with the letters L.S., the abbreviation for the Latin Locus Sigilli, meaning "the place of the seal." Officials probably used this seal until 1852, when the municipal corporation act made Toledo a second class city. No record shows what seal the city adopted in 1852. The circle and the inscription "The Seal of the City of Toledo" originated with a state law passed in 1868. The old Fort Industry, the date of the incorporation of the city, and the city's motto appeared on a seal designed in 1873. The Latin motto, "Laborare est Orare," freely translated, means "To work is to pray." The present seal, designed by Robert M. Corl, incorporates all these elements. Toledo adopted the seal along with the city flag on January 11, 1909.
Dov Gutterman, 23 December 2002