This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website

Overijssel Province (The Netherlands)

Overijssel Provincie (Nederland)

Last modified: 2007-12-29 by jarig bakker
Keywords: overijssel |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors

[Provincial flag of Overijssel] image by Mark Sensen, 4 May 1999

See also:

Overijssel Province

Overijssel (or "on the other side of the IJssel river") was part of Utrecht until 1528. In 1528 Charles V, as count of Holland, inherited the area. In the same year new arms were adapted. The arms depict the lion of Holland over the river IJssel. The arms haven't changed since then.

Overijssel coat of arms

Overijssel CoA International Civic Arms :

"Or, a fess wavy azure, over all a lion rampant gules, armed and langued azure. The shield is crested by a coronet of four pearls between five leaves or. Supporters: two lions rampant proper, langued gules."


1938 Parade flag

Parade flag Overijssel Jarig Bakker, 26 January 2001

In 1938 Queen Wilhelmina had reigned the Netherlands for 40 years. On that occasion a lot of municipalities paraded in front of HM with their flags, which consisted of the provincial flag with the municipal CoA in the canton (or something...). Those municipal flags can only be considered as 'curiosities', while the status of the provincial flags is not quite clear.

Jarig Bakker, 26 January 2001