Last modified: 2006-12-09 by jarig bakker
Keywords: ravenstein |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Shipmate Flagchart : http://www.flagchart.net
Granted 16 Jul 1817
Granted 16 Jul 1817.
The arms are canting, a raven (Raaf) on a stone (Steen).
The oldest known seal of the city dates from the late 15th century and shows two shields, one with the arms of the County of
Kleef (Kleve), as the Counts of Kleef were Lords of Ravenstein (at that time it was Philip van Kleef, 1492-1527). The other
shield showed a raven with two round stones. In the 16th century the arms are often shown only as those of Kleef, only in a 17th
century book on castles, the raven appeared.
In a 19th century book the two arms appear again, the arms of Kleef for the Estate of Ravenstein, the raven as arms for the city
The crown was added in 1815.
In 1992 the Noord-Brabant provincial heraldic committee proposed to
change the stone to a round stone, like on the original seal, but the municipality
did not adopt this proposal.
Source: Ralf Hartemink.