Last modified: 2008-07-26 by bruce berry
Keywords: malawi |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Nyasaland became the independent as the Republic of
Malaŵi on 06 July
1964. Accordingly, the police became known as the Malaŵi Police and a
new badge was adopted. The basic design remains the name as its
predecessor, the Nyasaland Police, but the leopard has been replaced
with an eagle, the Crown has also been removed and the new name of the
force is now on the scroll below.
The design of the police flag remains essentially the same as that of the Nyasaland Police, but with the new police emblem in the centre.
Bruce Berry, 06 Mar 2008
scan by Bruce Berry, 04 Mar 2008
Nyasaland was a British Protectorate and the badge adopted by the Nyasaland
Police was based on the colonial badge. The badge of the Protectorate was one of
a number of designs prepared by Mr HL Duff, the Acting Deputy Governor, which
were submitted to the Secretary of State for the Colonies in London and which
was granted by Royal Warrant on 11 May 1914 with the heraldic description of
"Argent, on a rock issuant from the base a leopard statant proper, on a Chief
wavy Sable the rising sun Or".
The leopard and the rising sun thus became the main symbols of the Protectorate and were included, in a somewhat modified form, in the badge of the Nyasaland Police. The flag of the Nyasaland Police was
divided diagonally dark blue over light blue with the Police badge in silver (white) in the centre. Surmounting the leopard and sun is the Royal Crown with the words NYASALAND POLICE in a scroll below. The date of the adoption of this flag is not known but it flew when Nyasaland was part of the Federation of Rhodesia and Nyasaland until it was replaced following the independence of Malaŵi in
Bruce Berry, 04 Mar 2008