Last modified: 2006-12-23 by ivan sache
Keywords: seine-et-marne | chateau-landon | castle (white) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Flag of Château-Landon - Image by Pascal Vagnat, 5 October 2002
The municipality of Château-Landon (3,000 inhabitants) is located 80 km
south-east of Paris, on a rocky hill dominating
the river Fusain.
Due to its geographical location, the hill hosted a Gaul oppidum which was seized by Julius Caesar in 52 BC. In 507, St. Séverin, a monk from the Agaune abbey in Switzerland, was called in Lutèce (Paris) to heal King of France Clovis from a "pernicious fever". He succeded but died on his way back in Château-Landon, then called Castrum Nantonis. A Royal abbey devoted to St. Séverin was later founded in Château-Landon. In 1068, the town was incorporated into the Kingdom of France, and its name was changed to Château-Landon in the XIIth century to celebrate a local lord called Landulphus. Foulques le Réchin, born in Château-Landon in 1043, was later appointed Count of Anjou. His grand-son Jeffrey the Handsome married Mathilde, the daughter of King of England Henry I Beauclerc. Their son became King of England as Henri II Plantagenet, and Château-Landon is proud to be one of the cradles of the Plantagenet dynasty. Château-Landon was extremely wealthy in the Middle-Ages and was elected one of the 17 French "clothier towns" (ville drapière).
The city is divided into two parts, the fortified city, which had
administrative and military functions; and the new city, which was
dedicated to trade and fairs. The main architectural interest in the
city is the 57 m high bell tower of the Church Notre-Dame (XVth
The stone of Château-Landon, resistant to frost, was used to build several famous monuments in Paris, such as the Cathedral Notre-Dame, the Panthéon and the National Library. Quarries are still in activity in the neighbouring city of Souppes-sur-Loing.
The actor and theater director Charles Dullin (1885-1949), founder of the Théâtre de l'Atelier in Paris, established his theater school from 1921 to 1939 in Nérouville, a hamlet depending on Château-Landon.
Ivan Sache, 5 October 2002
The flag of Château-Landon is horizontally divided yellow-black with the municipal coat of arms placed in the middle and surmonted with the name of the city in counterchanged colours.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 5 October 2002