Last modified: 2004-02-07 by santiago dotor
Keywords: bavaria | bayern | aschaffenburg | stadt aschaffenburg | coat of arms (saint martin) | coat of arms (church: red) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
by Stefan Schwoon
A banner [hanging flag] with green-red-white stripes and the arms. The arms are influenced by the fact that Aschaffenburg was a fortress of the diocese of Mainz until 1803. Sources: flag from Staack 1997, arms from Stadler 1964-1971.
Stefan Schwoon, 4 March 2001
From Ralf Hartemink's International Civic Arms website:
Aschaffenburg became a city in the 13th century and was one of the main cities in the diocese of Mainz and a stronghold of the monastery of Mainz. The first seals show the patron saint of the city, St. Martin, sitting on a throne in a Gothic piece of architecture. Later seals, dating from the 14th-16th century only show St. Martin. (...) The arms changed considerably in the 17th century. (...) In 1839 the old seal was restored and the arms were changed accordingly and thus show the same picture as the oldest seal.
Literature: Stadler 1964-1971.
Santiago Dotor, 10 January 2002