Last modified: 2008-08-30 by jarig bakker
Keywords: jesenik |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Jesenik (district Jeseník) as village on the confluence of Bela nad
Staric was first mentioned in 1267. A town Frywaldov (Freiwaldau) was mentioned
in 1295. Its development is connected with ore mining, supported by the
Princes of Nisa: the bishops of Vratislav (Wroclaw, Poland). The seat of
the administrators of the bishops was Fryvaldov Castle (Feste). From 1651-84
many witch-trials made the town notorious. In 1831 Vinzenz Priessnitz started
a Spa in nearby Gräfenberg village (now Lazne Jesenik). The Czech government
established on 15th February 1996 (effective 1 Jan 1996) the new district
The Coa was granted by bishop Jan Thurzo - which is the reason why the Lower Silesian eagle of Wroclaw (Breslau) was placed here. The flag is horizontally striped green - black - yellow. In the center of the field is the coat of arms, reaching from the middle of the green stripe to the middle of the yellow stripe.
Aleš Křížan, 21 Dec 2000.