This page is part of © FOTW Flags Of The World website
Cejkovice (Czech Republic)
Hodonin okres, South Moravian region
Last modified: 2008-08-30 by jarig bakker
Keywords: cejkovice |
Links: FOTW homepage |
disclaimer and copyright |
write us |
by Jarig Bakker, 17 Feb 2004
adopted 18 Nov 1998
Čejkovice municipality flag
Image after Petr Exner's Vexilologický Lexikon prapori obcí ČR (1998)
- Čejkovice, Hodonín district, South Bohemian region, adopted 18 Nov 1998
- "čejka" = lapwing.
Čejkovice, located in the vineyard-filled south-eastern corner of Moravia,
was first mentioned in 1248. Oldrich of Sponheim then donated four
allotments to the Knights Templar. The arrival of the Knights Templar in
our lands dates back to 1232; the Čejkovice stronghold and St. Kunhuta´s
church were fouded at that time. The first evidence of vine-growing in
Čejkovice also relates to the Knights Temlar.
The lands commander, Ekko, was based in Čejkovice. From here, he administered
his province, spreading into Bohemian, Moravian and Austrian territories.
The might and wealth of the Knights Templar provoked envy and hatred that
ultimately resulted in an allegation of heresy. The order was disestablished
in 1312. After that, the stronghold often changed owners and was finally
acquired by the Olomouc Jesuit college in 1624. A complex of baroque homestead
buildings and wine cellars (650m) was added between 1715 and 1717. T. G.
Masaryk lived and worked in Čejkovice.
Čejkovice was never awarded heraldic rights and its emblem is only
known from an old seal. An emblem with a lapwing (cejka in Czech) and the
Knights Templar´s cross was given to the community on 18th June 1998.
Information from this website.
Jarig Bakker, 17 Feb 2004
Čejkovice coat of arms
from this website.