Last modified: 2008-04-26 by ivan sache
Keywords: ternat | chevron (yellow) | kruikenburg |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
Municipal flag of Ternat - Image by Arnaud Leroy, 8 January 2008
The municipality of Ternat (14,765 inhabitants on 1 January 2007; 2,448 ha) is located 15 km west of Brussels. The municipality of Ternat is made since 1976 of the former municipalities of Ternat, Sint-Katherina-Lombeek and Wambeek.
Ternat got its name from ter natte, "a wet land", referring to the
valley where the village was built.
Wambeek was mentioned for the first time in 877, as belonging to the
St. Gertrude abbey in Nivelles. In 1112, the village church was transferred by Odon, Bishop of Cambrai, to the Chapter of Nivelles,
which ruled it until 1660. The lords of Wezemaal are
listed as the lords of Wambeek (including Ternat and
Sint-Katherina-Lombeek) in 1229.
Ternat became an independent parish in 1268, as shown by the cartularium of the abbey of Affligem, listing a "parochia Nath". Sint-Katherina-Lombeek became an independent parish in 1302.
In the XIVth century, the lords of Ternat built the castle of
Cruquenborg (today, Kruikenburg); due to money shortage, the van
Wezemael had to sold the domain and castle to the 't Serclaes, burghers
in Brussels. A document by the Municipal Council dated 16 December 1457
confirms that the three villages still formed a single domain: Wy
scepen van Wambeke, Lombeke ende Nath doen te weten... In the second
half of the XVIth century, the 't Serclaes' possessions were
transferred by marriage to the Fourneau, lords of
(Sint-Ulriks)-Kapelle, who remained lords of Kruikenburg until the
French Revolution, and then again until 1891. They were made Counts of
Kruikenburg on 23 October 1662.
On 2 June 1938, the castle of Kruikenburg was sold by the Lichtervelde family to the Brothers of the Christian School, who still own it.
Source: Municipal website
Ivan Sache, 28 November 2007
The municipal flag of Ternat is blue with a yellow chevron.
According to the Gemeentewapens in België - Vlaanderen en Brussel, the flag was adopted by the Municipal Council on 1 April 1985, confirmed by the Executive of Flanders on 7 May 1985 and published in the Belgian national gazette on 8 July 1986.
The flag is a quasi banner of the municipal arms, which are "Azure billety or a chevron of the same".
According to the municipal website, the flag is on sale (15 €) at the information desk of the town hall of Ternat.
The Decree prescribing the arms of Ternat says:
Overwegende dat de adellijke familie 'de Fourneau' sedert 1562 onafgebroken in het bezit is geweest van de heerlijkheid Kruikenburg tot in het jaar 1891 en dat tijdens haar bezit de heerlijkheid op 23 oktober 1662 tot graafschap werd verheven;
Overwegende dat deze heerlijkheid de huidige gemeenten Sint-Katherina-Lombeek, Ternat en Wambeek omvatte en dat hogergenoemde familie een wapen voerde dat als volgt werd omschreven: 'van lazuur bezaaid met gouden blokjes, een keper van hetzelfde over alles heen', wapen dat eveneens voorkwam in het toenmalig zegel van de Schepenbank van Kruikenburg, werd hiervoor de erkenning gevraagd aan de hogere overheid en bekomen.
The Decree recalls that the lords of Fourneau were once lords of Kruikenburg, a domain including Sint-Katherina-Lombeek, Ternat and Wambeek, and that, therefore, the municipality of Ternat has been granted their arms as the municipal arms.
The Fourneau arms are shown in the first quarter of the municipal arms of Ranst, and were, indeed the municipal arms of Ranst before the municipal reform. The Fourneau arms are also used on the municipal flag of Kampenhout.
Pascal Vagnat & Ivan Sache, 28 November 2007