Last modified: 2008-05-24 by francisco gregoric
Keywords: san isidro | partido de san isidro | isidro | etulain (sergio) |
Links: FOTW homepage | search | disclaimer and copyright | write us | mirrors
San Isidro (293,202 inhabitants in 2001; 5,144 ha) is located in the
northern part of Buenos Aires. It was founded in 1706 around a chapel
dedicated to St. Isidro. by the rich merchant Domingo de Acassuso. The
town celebrated its bicentenary in 1906 and adopted a medal, whose
designed was adopted nine years later as the official coat of arms of
the municipality. The coat of arms shows a chapel, the sun rising over
the river, a house, a cultivated field and a tree.
San Isidro has a yacht club named Club Náutico San Isidro.
Ivan Sache, 28 Jun 2006
The Municipality of San Isidro, via its Executive Department and its
Deliberative Council, has launched the contest "A flag for San Isidro"
(Una bandera para San Isidro). All inhabitants of the districts
including those who have been living in the party of San Isidro since
last 31 December are eligible as proposers. Participation can by
individual or as a group, provided that all members of the groups live
in the party. The first prize shall be 5,000 pesos.
The proposals will be evaluated by a group of specialists of ceremonial, history, humanities, geography.
Each proposer or groups of proposers shall present only one proposal. The proposal shall include a coloured version of the flag , a black and white construction sheet for the flag including the proportions of all the constitutive elements of the flag, and a written description of the foundations of the flag. The colours used in the flag shall be explicitely mentioned according to the Pantone scale.
Ivan Sache, 28 Jun 2006
According to "Diario NP", 10 June 2007, the flag of San Isidro,
designed by Sergio Etulain, will be unveiled by the Municipal
Intendent, Dr. Gustavo Posse, on 14 May 2007, in the presence of the
local religious, official and private authorities.
The official description of the flag is:
"En paño blanco, una partición por mitad en alto, color verde hacia el pendiente. En el centro del cuartel superior del asta, seis bezantes dorados enmarcados al círculo, flores de “espinillo”, sobre hojas verdes del mismo árbol."
White flag divided by an ascending diagonal with the lower part green. In the middle of the upperleft panel, six golden besants in a circular patterns, flowers of "espinillo", above green leaves of the same tree. Green is prescribed as Pantone 349c and yellow as Pantone 116c (golden on the ceremonial flags).
The inclined plane formed by the flag partition represents the main topographic characteristic of San Isidro, with ravines facing east and hillsides facing west.
White represents the Christian faith, here the faith triggered when Acassuso founded a small chapel.
Green has been San Isidro's colour since its foundation, as proved by its ancient name of Monte Grande and the grass fields encountered by the early settlers. Even if the further development of the town involved other colours, such as gold for wheat and grey fir cement, green has remained the main colour, as emphasized by the big forest still there.
The flowers of espinillo, made of six besants, represent the six settlements forming San Isidro. The leaves surrounding the flowers represent San Isidro as a whole. The espinillo is the tree under which don Domingo de Acassuso was required in a dream by St. Isidro to build a chapel, and therefore founded in 1706 a settlement dedicated to the saint. In 1915, the official municipal seal was prescribed as a representation of Acassuso's dream, with the espinilla in the center. In 2006, the municipal administration of San Isidro planted several espinillas to commemorate the 300th anniversary of Acassuso's dream. The "espinillo" is the mimosa Acacia caven (Molina) Molina. It is a 4-5 m high tree with big thorns, therefore its name (in Spanish, "espina" is a thorn). The tree is endemic to central Chile, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay.
Ivan Sache, 12 May 2007
The municipal flag of San Isidro was officialy
unvealed on 14 May 2007.
Ivan Sache, 3 Jun 2007
Anything below this line was not added by the editor of this page.